Friday, March 28, 2014

Time for a break


Have you ever felt like you were getting lost in your day? The hustle and bustle of life, the 24/7 connection to the rest of the world. How many times have you 'spent' time with someone, without really spending time with them? Were you engrossed in your social media feed and missed the point of their story?

I think we've all been guilty. When did this happen? We spend more time taking photos of our food, or wine, or environment only to post to Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Is it because we as a society have become more vain? Are we afraid that people may forget us if our online activity diminishes? We take photos for memories, but we are missing the moment. Often times, out of boredom, we find ourselves looking to social media to fill empty time. I'm personally guilty of this, especially with Facebook.

I've come across several articles over the last few months that I've found to be quite interesting. This concept of "divorcing your smartphone" and getting back to when things were a little more simple, and things were a little more meaningful.

I decided to embark on this challenge. Knowing that my family, my friends, and my friends' families were too important to me to miss entirely, I decided that I would "detox" if you will, for two weeks.

I deactivated my account. I deleted the app.

The.World.Didn't.Stop.

In fact, the world became a little more quiet and a little more enjoyable. 

I realized that if I added up all the time I spend scrolling out of boredom, I could read a chapter in the book I have on my nightstand. I could finally get the room I love the most in our home complete. I could write a little more often. I could spend more time being healthy. I could enjoy more quality time with my husband.

I've since reactivated my account after the two weeks were complete. (In all fairness, I love my friends and enjoy the daily accomplishments, motivations and damn adorable family photos posted regularly)

The app, however, remains removed from my phone.

I choose to invite inspiration and activity into the space previously spent scrolling - and definitely spending more time in my favorite room.

finally complete.

Smartphones and social media were created to help us stay in touch with the people in our life in "real-time". What's interesting is the effect this has had on the relationships put on hold by constant notifications. It's become a little counterproductive, wouldn't you say? Just some food for thought.

If you're interested, I've linked two of the articles below.

Breaking up with my smartphone
Our Unplugging Challenge

No comments :